Unfortunately, Australia has one of the highest rates of skin cancer in the world. According to the Cancer Council, two in three Australians will be diagnosed with skin cancer by the time they’re 70. Australian skin cancer rates double, and sometimes triple those in Canada, the United States, and the United Kingdom. As an Australian it’s incredibly important to be aware of the risk of skin cancer.
If any of the following relates to you, you may be at a higher risk of melanoma or non-melanoma skin cancer and should receive skin checks on a regular basis:
- You have a family history of skin cancer in first-degree relative
- You have a fair complexion and a tendency to burn rather than tan. You have freckles, light eye colour, and light or red hair colour.
- You are aged 30 or above. Be aware that those over 50 are most at risk.
- You have a presence of solar lentigines ed-oesterreichische.at. This refers to patches of darkened skin. These are common in those aged 40 and above.
- You have a past history of skin cancer.
- You experienced high levels of UV exposure as a child, coupled with significant episodes of sunburn.
- You have multiple or dysplastic atypical moles.
- You have previously been exposed to arsenic.
- You have immunosuppressed parents.
What Care Do You Offer?
Alongside a standard skin check, Maddington Village General Practice also offers:
- Biopsy for suspected skin lesions
- Removal of skin lesions
- Referrals for complex skin conditions
- Diagnosis and treatment of non-cancer skin lesions.
Your skin is the largest organ in your body, so let’s work together to take care of it.